Sunday, May 27, 2012

Trail Safety

So, in my last post I talked about my smugness (naivete?) and trail safety.  I am going to do some more research on what sorts of precautions I should take in Bear Country...but I already take ONE safety precaution that I thought I'd tell you all about.

Signs signs everywhere are signs
When I go out on my own (or with just Thunderdog), I always write a note and stick it on my car's dashboard at the trailhead.  It always says something like this:

Hiking portage --> Otto Lake, around lake, and back 4 miles
4:30pm 5/21/2012

So, if I fall into a well or get attacked by a bear, I know that eventually someone will come looking for me.  SOMEONE checks out the trailheads on a regular basis (whether it's the police, a ranger, a trail volunteer, or even a curious hiker).  If they see that I went on the hike at 4:30 on 5/21 and it's now 8am on 5/22, they'll know that something's wrong.  Of course, I also tell someone where I'm going, and when.  On the Otto Lake day I texted Joe to tell him I was going for a hike.

My study into Proper Trail Safety will begin when I return from a Memorial Day Weekend vacation to the Keweenaw Peninsula in the UP!  Another Big Trip, Big Fun coming up!

No comments:

Post a Comment